Thursday 30 May 2013

A Medieval and Musical Meditation


I think I set my alarm for seven, but maybe it was eight. I remember wanting to beat the rest of my family to the bathroom, so it must have been seven. But whatever, it was eight when I got up and any chance of getting in there first was doomed. Eventually it was my turn and upon filling up the sink to shave a voice came a-shrieking.“We have to go now!” Not even time to shave. Just wash your face, brush your teeth and be on your deliriously merry way.

I arrived late for the rehearsal, the model of professionalism that I am, and was launched canon style straight in to making some music. I'm never good on the spot, and this soon out of bed my brain still feels warm and squishy like boiled broccoli, so it's safe to say I was pleased when I found that the group were musical and saved me the shame of going it alone. Much more comfortable, we played around with the music some more and I was shown a sword dance that they had prepared. At the thought of swords and sword fights the ten year old inside did a small somersault (he was more like thirteen but spare me the embarrassment). Despite my constant efforts to do so I hardly ever get to play music with violin, so it was exciting to throw some over the top of the dance, but I still had no clue how any of this would work with the play so I was eager to see how this all looked in action.

In the second half of the day we switched rooms and I got to see for the first time exactly how that action in the script looked. Less script more action was how. With no discernible language used the play employed a silent movie style of exaggerated madness. Impressed by everyone's zeal I found my sides splitting worse than my ambitious skinny jeans. Freaky masks, sword fights and slapstick hilarity. I can not wait to see the end result.

Tom Morton

Volunteer Musician 

No comments:

Post a Comment